Print Topic - Archive

Warrior's Watch Forums  /  The Wounded Warrior Riders Project  /  WOUNDED WARRIOR RIDERS PROJECT 2012
Posted by: Lutz, January 2, 2012, 9:32pm
I have locked the previous thread, started two years ago, and am now starting this one for a Fresh Start. Planning for a hospital run in Spring 2012 is underway in ernest.

I purchased a logo that is now trademarked, along with the name, Wounded Warriors Riders Project. I then created a website that we will use to track, but more, to publicise, the progress of this year's ride.

I am forming a WORKING COMMITTEE to implement our plan. Committee members will be assigned actual work, so as to spread the love, so to speak.

As I said in the other thread we have the full support and aid of Major Ed Kennedy (US Army, Congressional Liasion) who will be our contact and go-to guy on the D.C. end of this. (As an Aside, I am watching for the return home of Doc from Korea, who, if he stays in the DC area after the end of his Korea deployment, will be heavily relied upon for assistance.)

Our goal with the 2012 Ride for Wounded is NOT to have a big, fun ride for US. It is to MOTIVATE WOUNDED WARRIORS, those who might wish to set riding a motorcycle as a goal, by putting before them the possibilities and showing them the means of attaining those goals.

Assuming the powers that be do not try to limit us, one of our goals will be to make this ride AS BIG AS POSSIBLE. The REASON for that is to use our numbers to show the wounded (and the world) how much of our nation truly cares about them, about how many of our citizens love them and support them and will stand behind the. Our numbers will show them that WE HAVE THEIR BACKS HERE AT HOME.

To that end I will be approaching many other clubs, organizaitons and MCs with the invitation to ride with us, and with information such as what I have supplied here in order to ensure that they understand the importance of what we do, and the philosophy behind our actions.

To start, our National Coordinator, PA State Coordinator, SPOC for Military (SEPA) and I will be attending an all-club meeting this Saturday, an opportunity at Brians to spread the word. This sort of work will continue for the next several months and will need YOUR support.

That's enough for now, much more to follow. "Watch This Thread," as I sometimes say.

WWW.WWRPROJECT.ORG
Posted by: Kurt, January 3, 2012, 1:55pm; Reply: 1
Looking forward to hearing more info on this run.
Posted by: Lutz, January 3, 2012, 4:27pm; Reply: 2
Someone sent me a message asking essentially why we are "advertising to bikers?" What about those in cages who wish to come? I answer here because this is probably a good opportunity to make some things more clear to everyone.

First, this is a motorcycle ride. There are some primary and some secondary reasons for making this a motorcycle ride. As with all of our rides, there will always be some support vehicles involved. For example, there will be a lead vehicle, a cage, in which a passenger will be responsible for navigation and commo. He will be in voice contact with a rear vehicle, who can then warn the lead vehicle to slow or stop if the group becomes divided. In addition, there may be sweepers, hopefully a truck with trailer from the HD dealership, and possibly a vehicle for carrying supplies.

But aside from that support, this is a motorcycle run. The whole purpose is to use the bikes to generate excitment and attention. We want to motivate young soldiers to set a goal of riding.

We do not turn people away from WWR missions (though this is not, strictly speaking, a WWR mission. It is a Wouned Warrior Riders Project (WWRP) mission.) Because of the target size of the ride, the fewer support cages the better. Those who want to come but do not ride will be encouraged to "car pool."

So that is why we will be asking biker clubs and orgs for support and not car clubs.
Posted by: 5228 (Guest), January 31, 2012, 7:53pm; Reply: 3
I would like to bring in a group from KY. Please keep me in the loop. Whatever I can do from this end....do you need sponsors for this?
Posted by: ironcross895, February 15, 2012, 11:02am; Reply: 4
The last ride was great.  Will take off work if need be but I'll be there!
Posted by: Sputnik, February 24, 2012, 9:08pm; Reply: 5
I will be watching for more info.
Posted by: NuWaveBrad, March 1, 2012, 2:41pm; Reply: 6
Missed the last one, but I'm very interested in being a part of this one.  I can help with this side of things, also, as I'm in MD, and work all around the DC/Northern VA area.  Also have contacts at a number of Vet-oriented/friendly MC's/groups.  Not on here as often as I'd like, but send me an e-mail if you need any help.
Posted by: KnightShadow, March 30, 2012, 9:22pm; Reply: 7
I will be looking forward for more information on this ride
Posted by: Tool Man, May 2, 2012, 5:56pm; Reply: 8
Standing by for more info as it comes in.  I will happily bring with me as much support from my crew as I can muster.
Posted by: Zeus, May 2, 2012, 8:32pm; Reply: 9
Stand by for more info to show how much we care about these wounded warriors!
Posted by: JohnDelivers, June 9, 2012, 7:55am; Reply: 10
Any news on this event???
Posted by: Rambone, June 21, 2012, 3:24am; Reply: 11
Found this and wanted to share.
The Can Am Spyders are becoming more rider friendly and in greater numbers. They offer an amputee a choice on how to ride and a good starting platform to build on. ABS , semi auto trans and reverse gear make it attractive and feasible to the handicapped. Here is a modification that allows the rider, hand brake application instead of the OE foot pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bb04PPTazw
Posted by: Rambone, May 2, 2013, 5:48pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Lutz
I have locked the previous thread, started two years ago, and am now starting this one for a Fresh Start. Planning for a hospital run in Spring 2012 is underway in ernest.

WWW.WWRPROJECT.ORG
Ok, it's spring of 2013.  Are we there yet???

Posted by: Rambone, June 30, 2013, 6:43pm; Reply: 13
This thread has gone down the shitter along with the hopes and funds for this project
Posted by: Rambone, August 2, 2013, 3:12am; Reply: 14
another year has passed and nothing has happened with this thread and the goal of it, WTF
Posted by: HandyMan, October 6, 2013, 7:27pm; Reply: 15
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised.  I had everything set up with the owners at Bikes Built Better in Horsham almost 2 years ago.  They were going to provide all the parts at their cost and do all the labor for free.  

We never got them any candidates for a bike.  I'm once again embarrassed for us.  WTF
Posted by: Rambone, October 23, 2013, 4:20am; Reply: 16
I hear ya Bill, I don't understand why this thread is still here.
                 Prolly better this way, funds have a way of going MIA when donations are made.
Print page generated: December 10, 2019, 6:45pm