Theme not found!

Warrior's Watch Forums    Memorial Boards    Virtual Warriors' Walk  ›  4/9/04 PFC Chance R. Phelps   Moderators: matter
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

4/9/04 PFC Chance R. Phelps    This thread currently has 421 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Rambone
December 12, 2013, 6:41am Report to Moderator

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES KAT, RIP
Gazeebo Team
I ride for the mission
You are not forgotten PFC Chance R. Phelps

http://projects.militarytimes.com/valor/marine-pfc-chance-r-phelps/257166

Marine Corps Pfc. Chance R. Phelps
Died April 9, 2004 Serving During Operation Iraqi Freedom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19, of Clifton, Colo.; assigned to 3rd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.; killed April 9 by hostile fire in Anbar province, Iraq.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camp Pendleton Marine killed in Iraq

Associated Press

DUBOIS, Wyo. — Pfc. Chance Phelps, a Camp Pendleton, Calif.-based Marine killed in Iraq last week will be buried in his former Wyoming hometown, a friend said Monday.

Phelps, 19, of Clifton, Colo., will be buried in Dubois, said Ed Wilkerson, a friend of the family and commander of the VFW chapter in Dubois. No date was set.

Phelps died in gunfire Friday while battling insurgents west of Baghdad, according to his father, John Phelps, who lives in Dubois.

The Department of Defense confirmed Phelps’ death Monday. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force in Camp Pendleton, Calif.

His mother, Gretchen Mack, said she learned of her son’s death when two Marines showed up at her door at 2 a.m. Saturday.

“I don’t think anything can prepare you for two young men standing in the living room telling you your son’s been killed,” Mack said. “It’s just surreal. They were crying.”

She last talked to her son last Wednesday night.

“He said, ‘Mom, I’m fine.’ He sounded great,” she said. “It was really good to be able to talk to him. It made us feel better.”

Members of the Colorado House of Representatives observed a moment of silence for Phelps on Monday at the request of two lawmakers from Grand Junction, Colo.

Mack said her son drew people to him with his humor.

“He had an unusual amount of zest,” she said. “He just possessed this quality that he had to be in the thick of things all the time. He was very, very positive, very funny. ... His main thing in life was making people laugh.”

The young man also loved to hunt and fish and spent summers with his father in Dubois.

“He was very in tune politically,” said Mack, who lives in Riverton. “He knew what he wanted for this country. ... He told me after 9/11, ‘I absolutely have to go. I’ve got to do something.”’

Joining the military isn’t anything new for the family. John Phelps is a Vietnam veteran. Chance Phelps’ sister, Kelley, 22, works at the Pentagon and is engaged to an Army sergeant.

Chance Phelps spent his early years in Dubois, then moved to Craig, Colo., while in grade school. His mother was married to Craig resident Guy Whitlock for eight years. After the marriage ended, she moved to Palisade, Colo., where Phelps graduated from high school last year.

“He was a great kid,” Whitlock said. “Everybody liked him. He was an athlete, an avid hunter and he liked the outdoors. He liked all the things that Moffat County had to offer.”

Sometime during high school, Phelps decided he wanted to be a soldier, “especially after 9/11,” Whitlock said. “I’m very proud of him.”

Friends recall Phelps as a fun-loving, hard-nosed kid. He was big but didn’t throw his size around to intimidate people, said Jarod Estey, 19, of Craig.

“He was probably the toughest kid I knew growing up in grade school. He was probably the biggest kid, too — well-built and strong,” he said. “But he was real easy going. He always had a smile on his face.”

Marine’s Wyoming hometown in shock at his death

DUBOIS, Wyo. — Residents who knew a Marine killed in Iraq are in shock, said a woman who once provided daycare for the family.

Pfc. Chance R. Phelps, 19, was shot in the head April 9 while battling insurgents in Ramadi, west of Baghdad, according to his father, John Phelps, who lives in Dubois.

Chance Phelps was deployed to Iraq just over a month ago with the 3rd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division based in California.

“I can’t even comprehend what John’s going through,” said Gay Baker, who cared for Chance when he was a preschooler. “It’s such a heartache, such a shock. What a tragedy.”

Chance moved with his mother to Colorado while still in grade school, Baker said.

He attended high school in Craig, Colo., before transferring to Palisade, Colo., as a senior, graduating in 2003.

Phelps handled the transition to the new school handily, said Jan Norell, a gym teacher.

“It’s really hard for a kid to do, to fit in and make an impact,” she said.

He joined the football team and earned a letter. “He was so proud of his letterman jacket and his varsity letter,” she said.

In football, Phelps became friends with teammate John Hakes, who remembers him as “kind of like a country boy.”

“He was always doing something goofy,” said Hakes. “He always had a smile on his face. He brought camaraderie more than anything.”

Hakes followed Phelps into the Marines and expects to be deployed to Iraq this fall.

“I thought we were both invincible, that nothing could touch us,” said Hakes. He said he was asked to be an honorary pallbearer at his friend’s funeral.

The family was waiting for Phelps’ body to be returned before scheduling services, said Ed Wilkerson, a friend of the family and commander of the VFW chapter in Dubois.

— Associated Press

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

An American Soldier is someone who, at some point in their life, wrote out a check, payable"to the United States of America" for the sum total of up to and including my life." We as citizens of those same United States owe them no less than unconditional support.

"Love is the feelin you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."
~Sonny Barger

E-mail Private Message
Hilsen
December 12, 2013, 2:27pm Report to Moderator

JonD A True Leader and Loved By All
Our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Pfc Chance R. Phelps. May God help you though this difficult time and sorrow. Know your loved one is a Hero to us all and will never be forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rest Safely and Securely in God's Loving Arms, Chance.

Going home, going home,
I'm just going home.
Quiet-like, slip away-
I'll be going home.
It's not far, just close by;
Jesus is the Door;
Work all done, laid aside,
Fear and grief no more.
Friends are there, waiting now.
He is waiting, too.
See His smile! See His hand!
He will lead me through.

http://lnwbooks.com/data/mp3/15.mp3

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom.

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle%20Hymn/

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your Government when it deserves it" -Mark Twain

Ride in peace JonD, Debbie, Mike, Irish, Kat, Ron, Wheelmaster and Chgo Jim.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
GO ARMY Robert Smith
December 13, 2013, 5:24pm Report to Moderator

HAVE A NICE DAY !!
WWR Coordinator
Regional Coordinator Region 3
MY FAMILY AND I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER OUR  
PRAYERS AND SINCERE CONDLOENCES TO THE
FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF CHANCE.
MY PERSONAL FEELINGS ARE FOUND IN THE POEM BELOW.  

Robert L. Smith, Jr.

In honor of my Brother, Jon Dreymann and my Sister Deb.
The moon gives you light,��
And the bugles and the drums give you music;��
And my heart, O my soldiers, my veterans,��
My heart gives you love.

Walt Whitman-Drum Taps

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message AIM Reply: 2 - 7
Ranger Rick Towman
December 20, 2013, 10:54pm Report to Moderator

Support our Troops ... Remember our Veterans
Prayers and Condolences to the Family and Friends of  PFC Chance R. Phelps.
Your service and sacrifice defending the Freedom of America will not be forgotten!
Rest in Peace Hero.

In Memory of Dad, USCG, USMC. WWII, Korea, Purple Heart. 1927~2005

In Memory of Jon D.

Rick & Bonnie Gandy
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
GO ARMY Robert Smith
December 25, 2013, 10:23am Report to Moderator

HAVE A NICE DAY !!
WWR Coordinator
Regional Coordinator Region 3
MY FAMILY AND I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER OUR  
PRAYERS AND SINCERE CONDLOENCES TO THE
FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF CHANCE.
MY PERSONAL FEELINGS ARE FOUND IN THE POEM BELOW.

Robert L. Smith, Jr.

In honor of my Brother, Jon Dreymann and my Sister Deb.
The moon gives you light,��
And the bugles and the drums give you music;��
And my heart, O my soldiers, my veterans,��
My heart gives you love.

Walt Whitman-Drum Taps

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message AIM Reply: 4 - 7
ottomania
December 30, 2013, 6:49am Report to Moderator

MARINE VETERAN 72-76 PROUD FATHER of a MARINE SON
SPOCs
Assistant N. IL LEO SPOC
My sincere condolences to the family and friends of PFC Chance R. Phelps.
I am truly sorry for your loss.

Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
Know the line has held, your job is done.
Rest easy, sleep well.
Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
Peace, peace, and farewell.

To those who died, Honor and Eternal Rest
To those still in bondage,
Remembrance and Hope
To those who returned, Gratitude and Peace.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
NVR4GET
December 30, 2013, 1:09pm Report to Moderator

The Cost of Freedom is Not Free,Let Us NVR4GET
REST IN PEACE.  You are not forgotten.

Riding:

In Memory of all those we lost on 9/11/2001

In honor of my son SSG US Army 173rd ABN, active duty 2 tours in Afghanistan

In honor of my father Cold War Vet. SGT US Army 8th Division 28th Infantry stationed in Germany.

In honor of all those who protect this great nation.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Chuck S
January 30, 2014, 5:53pm Report to Moderator

Our sincere condolences to the family and friends of PFC Chance R. Phelps
You will never be forgotten.                                        Rest in Peace Hero

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need

USMC - Mortars     
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Warrior's Watch Forums    Memorial Boards    Virtual Warriors' Walk  ›  4/9/04 PFC Chance R. Phelps  

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread